Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Galax or Beetleweed

This is a picture I took this summer of a plant called galax. It is a perennial, and it is located throughout the southern Appalachians. It has basal leaves only, which can be as wide as 6 inches. It has rounded, heart-shaped leaves with small rounded teeth on its edges. The leaves are evergreen, shiny, and leathery. Here is a picture I find with the flower, which blooms in the spring.
The flowers have five regular parts and grow in this single spike, which can grow up to 24''.

I have had trouble finding uses for galax. One website said that it might be used for use in healing wounds, but there was no good source for that. If you find anything try to post it cause I'm curious.

1 comment:

Matt Bukowski said...

I think there's a book called "Native American Ethnobotany," it's huge, try that. I have some books I'll bring next time I see you also.